- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 12 min
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 15 servings
- Category: Dessert
For the cake:
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the topping:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- Raspberry jam
- 15 Maraschino cherries, for garnish
- Chocolate sprinkles or shavings, for garnish
To prepare the cake rounds:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 10×15-inch nonstick jellyroll pan.
- In a small bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the egg whites and water on medium-high speed. Gradually add 1/2 cup of sugar until the egg-sugar mixture is thick and glossy. Transfer to a small bowl, and set aside.
- Clean the mixing bowl. Whisk the egg yolks on medium until thickened. Gradually add 1/3 cup of sugar then the vanilla. Using a flexible rubber spatula, fold the yolks into the egg whites. Using a spatula, fold in the flour, baking powder and salt until combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared jellyroll pan.
- Bake until lightly browned and springy, about 12 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Using a 2 1/2-inch cookie cutter, cut out rounds of cake. Transfer cake rounds to a plate.
To prepare the whipped cream topping:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a wire whip attachment, whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Add confectioners’ sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
To assemble the Charlotte Russe:
- Deposit a cake round into the bottom of a paper cup or flat-bottomed glass.
- Top the cake round with a teaspoon of raspberry jam followed by a healthy serving of whipped cream.
- Garnish with a maraschino cherry and chocolate sprinkles.