- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 (21-ounce) can cherry pie filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, brown sugar and oatmeal. Cut in the shortening.
- Press half of the flour-oatmeal mixture in a 9×13-inch ungreased pan. Spread the cherry filling over the base layer, then cover with an even layer of the remaining flour-oatmeal mixture.
- Bake until the crust is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer the dessert to a wire rack and allow to cool completely before serving.