Preparation: 35 minutes
Baking: 25 minutes
Refrigerate: 2 hours
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 & 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flaked coconut, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 4 & 1/3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 & 1/4 teaspoons coconut extract
- 2 cups flaked coconut, toasted
- Separate eggs, placing whites in a large bowl allowing them to reach room temperature (approx. 30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- In a second large bowl, blend sugar, butter, and oil.
- Add egg yolks to the creamed mixture one at a time.
- Beat in the coconut extract, almond extract, and vanilla extract.
- In a third bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- Stir the coconut flakes into the cake batter.
- Add cream of tartar to the egg whites. Beat at medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold half the egg whites into the cake batter, blend, add the remaining half of the egg whites, and blend the batter well.
- Pour the batter into three greased and floured 9-inch baking pans.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake layer comes out clean.
- Cool the cake layers in their pans for 10 minutes then move to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy.
- Add confectioners’ sugar and extract. Beat until smooth.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with 1/2 cup frosting and sprinkle with 1/3 cup coconut. Repeat with middle and top layers.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
Reference: Taste of Home.