- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main
- 1 pound boneless pork shoulder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 long Cuban bread roll
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 8 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 1 cup bread and butter pickles
- 8 thin slices deli ham
- Olive oil
To prepare the pork:
- Using kitchen twine, tie the shoulder in 3-4 places so that it will hold its shape while cooking.
- Season pork with salt, pepper, cumin and oregano.
- In the dish of a pressure cooker over low-medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. After oil heats, add garlic and chili flakes. Add the pork shoulder. Place onions around the pork. Allow the pork to brown slightly, about 10 minutes. Add orange juice, lime juice, chicken stock and bay leaves.
- Latch the lid of the pressure cooker. Cook until the pork is tender, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool, then remove twin and slice.
To prepare the sandwiches:
- Split the Cuban bread in half. To the bottom half, add mustard, cheese, pickles and ham. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Layer on pork and a second layer of cheese.
- Coat a large cast iron skillet with a thin coat of olive oil. Heat over medium heat. Carefully add a sandwich to the skillet. Top with a second heavy skillet or a brick wrapped in silver foil to press down the sandwich.
- Cook until the sandwich is compressed, the cheese is melted and the bread is crispy, about 7 minutes.