Deep Dish Pizza
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 60 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main
For the pizza crust:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Active Dry yeast
- 3/4 teaspoons lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, divided
- Olive oil, for brushing
For the tomato sauce:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 small onion, grated
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
For the toppings:
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup pepperoni
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
To prepare the crust:
- Lightly grease a large bowl with olive oil. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, combine the flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar and yeast. Add the lukewarm water and 1/8 cup of melted butter. Beat the ingredients on low speed until it falls off of the hook, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the dough, and lightly form into a ball. Place the dough into the prepared bowl. Roll the ball in the bowl to coat it in olive oil.
- Cover the bowl, and store it in a warm dry place until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.
- Lightly flour a work surface. Remove the dough, and lightly punch it down.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 11×8-inch rectangle. Spread 1/8 cup of softened butter over the dough. Roll the dough lengthwise, and return to the greased bowl.
- Transfer the bowl to the refrigerator, about 1 hour.
To prepare the sauce:
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the grated onion, salt, oregano and red pepper flakes. Heat for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, tomatoes and sugar.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer the mixture until it thickens, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat. Set aside.
To assemble the pizza:
- Lightly roll the dough on a floured service. Roll the dough into a 12-inch round circle.
- Place the dough over a 9×2-inch deep dish cake pan. Press the dough into the pan.
- Brush the top edges of the dough with olive oil.
- Fill the pizza crust with the mozzarella cheese, green pepper, pepperoni and mushrooms.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the toppings. Top with the parmesan cheese.
- Bake the pizza until the crust is golden brown, about 18 minutes.
- Allow the pizza to cool in its pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve warm.