Denver Omelet Pizza
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Main
For the Béchamel sauce:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup milk, heated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the pizza:
- 1 pizza crust
- 1/2 cup Béchamel sauce
- 1/2 cup diced ham
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 5 raw eggs
To prepare the Béchamel sauce:
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Stir in the flour until the paste bubbles, about 2 minutes.
- While continuously stirring, add the hot milk. Bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce heat, and add salt and pepper, to taste. Cook over low heat while stirring continuously, about 3 minutes.
To prepare the pizza:
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Roll pizza dough flat, leaving outer edges slightly thicker than the center.
- Dust a work surface with cornmeal or flour, and lay crust on top. Brush crust with Béchamel sauce.
- Top with ham, tomato, onions, and green pepper. Layer with Cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
- Place pizza on a cooking stone, and bake until cheese has slightly melted, about 3 minutes.
- Using a nonstick spray-coated glass, press 5 small depressions into the melted cheese.
- Crack an egg into each of the cheese depressions.
- Carefully slide the pizza into the oven and bake until eggs are cooked over-easy, about 12 minutes.