Indian Fry Bread with Bananas Caramel Sauce
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Dessert
For the caramel sauce:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
For the indian fry bread:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 cup warm water
- Cinnamon sugar, for dusting
- 4 ripe bananas, sliced
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream
To prepare the caramel sauce:
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, water and lemon juice. Cook the sugar mixture over high heat until it caramelizes slightly. Reduce heat to low, and whisk in the butter.
- Whisk in the cream and orange zest, stirring constantly, until smooth.
- Using a cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer, strain into a container and refrigerate until ready to serve.
To prepare the fry bread:
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Stir in the oil and water. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until smooth.
- Divide the dough evenly into 8 portions, and roll each portion into a ball. Transfer the dough balls to a baking sheet, cover and refrigerate, about 20 minutes.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 1 inch of oil to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Press each dough ball into a disc, and roll unto a 6-inch circle.
- Working in batches, fry each bread until golden brown on each side. Transfer fried breads to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Lightly dust each bread with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, heat the caramel sauce. Add the sliced bananas.
- Arrange the fry breads onto serving plates. Spoon warm caramel bananas onto each fry bread.
- Top each fry bread with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Garnish with orange zest, and serve immediately.