- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Main
For the Jambalaya mix:
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 3 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
For the Jambalaya:
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 pound fully cooked smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 pound medium fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
To prepare the Jambalaya mix:
- In a small bowl, combine long-grain rice, onion, parsley, bouillon, thyme, garlic powder, pepper, cayenne, salt and bay leaf.
To prepare the Jambalaya:
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, combine the Jambalaya mix, water, tomatoes, tomato sauce and smoked sausage.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer, about 20 minutes.
- Add shrimp, and cook until shrimp turn pink, about 5 to 7 minutes.
Jambalaya mix can be prepared in advance and stored in an airtight container.