Manhattan Clam Chowder
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Snack/Appetizer
- 2 bacon slices, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons green pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons celery, diced
- 2/3 cup potato, peeled, diced
- 1 (8-ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1 (8-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 18 small, hard-shelled clams, scrubbed well
- 2 tablespoons flat parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook bacon pieces until golden, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add onion, green pepper and celery. Cook until vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in potato, clam juice and tomatoes. Cover and simmer, 10 minutes.
- Stir in clams, re-cover, and simmer until clams open, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using tongs, remove clamshells. Detach clams, and return them to the chowder.
- Stir in parsley, and add salt and pepper, to taste.
If you’re in a hurry, substitute 3/4 cup of minced clam instead of whole clams.