New York Cheesecake
- Prep Time: 12 servings
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 min
- Total Time: 8 hours, plus time to chill cheesecake
- Yield: 12 servings
- Category: Dessert
For the crumb crust:
- 8 ounces graham crackers, finely ground
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the cheesecake filling:
- 5 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 5 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For the cherry topping:
- 10 ounces sweet or sour cherries, pitted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
To prepare the crust:
- Butter a 9 1/2-inch springform pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, butter, sugar and salt.
- Press the crust mixture into the prepared pan. The sides will be tall but should stop about 1 inch from the top of the pan.
- Transfer the pan with the formed crust to the freezer until the cheesecake filling is ready.
To prepare the cheesecake filling:
- Preheat oven with a rack in the middle position to 550 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the cream cheese, flour, lemon zest and orange zest on medium-low speed until smooth. Add the vanilla. Add the eggs one at a time until each has been combined into the mixture. Stop the mixer occasionally, and use a flexible rubber spatula to scrape down the sides.
- Position the pan with the crust in the center of a shallow baking sheet. Pour the filling into the crust up to the top of the pan.
- Bake until the cake puffs considerably puffy, about 10 minutes. Check frequently to ensure the top doesn’t burn.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 200 degrees. Bake until the cake is mostly firm, about 1 hour.
- Run an offset spatula around the top of the cake to loosen. Transfer the springform pan to a wire rack and allow to cool completely. Loosely cover the cake and chill for at least 6 hours.
To prepare the cherry topping:
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cherries, lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch and water. Bring to a boil.
- Cook for 2 more minutes, then remove from heat. Allow to cool completely.
To assemble the cheesecake:
- Remove the springform pan from the cake.
- Transfer cake to a serving plate.
- Spread the topping over the chilled cheesecake. Refrigerate until ready to serve.