- 4 cups water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 cup scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- In a large saucepan over high heat, bring water to a boil. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Add grits. Cook until water is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the butter and cheese.
- Rinse and dry the shrimp. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, fry the bacon until done. Remove cooked bacon, and drain well. Add the shrimp to the remaining grease in the skillet. Cook until shrimp turn pink. Add the lemon juice, chopped bacon, parsley, scallions and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- In a serving bowl, combine the grits and shrimp mixture. Mix well before serving.