Smiley Face Cookies
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 12 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 min
- Yield: 12 servings
- Category: Dessert
For the cookies:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the icing:
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons meringue powder
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons water
- Food coloring, yellow
- Gel tube, black
To prepare the cookies:
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another large bowl, cream the sugar and butter.
- Add egg and vanilla, mixing until light and fluffy.
- Blend the flour mixture into the creamed mixture.
- Form dough into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness between two sheets of wax paper to prevent sticking.
- Cut dough into 2-inch cookies.
- Bake cookies until edges are light brown, about 10-12 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool completely.
To prepare the icing:
- In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, combine sugar, meringue powder, almond and vanilla extracts.
- Add water until desired icing consistency is met.
- Add food coloring tint until desired icing color is met.
To assemble the cookies:
- Ice each cookie and let icing harden, about 30 minutes.
- Use the gel tube to pipe black icing into the distinctive smiley face design.