- 1 1/2 cups canned sweet potatoes or 2 to 3 roasted, peeled and pureed sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- Peel the sweet potatoes. Cut into 2-inch cubes. In a large stockpot over high heat, boil the sweet potato cubes until tender, about 20 minutes. Carefully transfer to a food processor, and puree until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the sweet potato puree and 1/2 cup of the sugar, eggs, butter, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Beat until the mixture is thoroughly blended and smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the pie shell. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Allow the prepared pie to stand for 15 minutes.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool completely before serving.