Tarpon Springs Greek Salad
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 30 min + overnight chilling time
- Yield: 10 servings
- Category: Main
For the Greek potato salad:
- 6 large yellow potato, boiled, diced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 bunch green onions, diced
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 jar Kalamata olives, drained, divided
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the salad:
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 3 cups of Greek potato salad
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 medium cucumber, diced
- 2 Tomatoes, 1 diced, 1 cut into wedges
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 can of beets, diced
- 12 small cocktail shrimp, deveined, peeled and cooked
- 8 radishes, sliced, divided
- 4 green onions, diced
- 12 ounces feta cheese
- 1 (8-ounce) jar greek Salonika peppers, drained, divided
- 4 anchovy fillets, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Oregano, to taste
- 1 (16-ounce) bottle of Greek salad dressing
To prepare the potato salad:
- Slice 1/2 cup of the Kalamata olives. Reserve the remaining olives as garnish for the salad.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix gently but thoroughly. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill completely.
To prepare the salad:
- Mound the potato salad in the center of a large serving platter.
- In a large bowl, add the lettuce, 3 cups of the potato salad, red onion, cucumber, diced tomato, bell pepper and beets. Add enough salad dressing to just coat the salad contents when tossed.
- Cover the mound of the potato salad with the dressed salad. The potato salad should be completely hidden.
- Garnish the salad with the shrimp. Surround the platter with the tomato wedges. Sprinkle the feta cheese over the salad. Add the olives, radishes and finally the green onions. Serve immediately.
The potato salad can be made the day before and refrigerated until ready to serve.