For the chicken:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- Oil, for frying
For the sauce:
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
For the batter:
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
To prepare the chicken:
- In a large sealable bag, add sherry. Sprinkle the chicken with salt, and add to the sealable bag. Shake to coat, and place on a rimmed cookie sheet. Allow to marinate for 15 minutes.
To prepare the sauce:
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk the cornstarch and water until the mixture is smooth. Gradually add chicken broth, mushrooms, butter, soy sauce and bouillon.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Lower temperature to low and allow to simmer, uncovered.
To prepare the batter:
- In a medium bowl, beat the cornstarch, flour, baking powder, egg and water.
To cook the chicken:
- Coat each piece of chicken with the batter.
- In a large skillet over high heat, add oil to a depth of 1/2-inch. Heat until the temperature reaches 375 degrees F.
- Fry the prepared chicken pieces until golden, turning halfway through, about 8 minutes. Remove and drain on a paper towel-lined rack.
- Once cooled slightly, cut chicken diagonally into strips.
To assemble the dish:
- Place slides of chicken onto a bed of shredded lettuce. Sprinkle chicken with toasted almonds and onion.
- Spoon sauce over chicken. Serve warm.