- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound turkey bacon, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bunch collard greens, tough stems and ribs removed, leaves thinly sliced
- 4 carrots, chopped
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Place black-eyed peas in a large bowl. Cover by a few inches with water. Cover the bowl, and let sit at room temperature for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain peas and rinse well.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, bacon and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add peas and broth. Bring to a boil. Skim any foam from the surface. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until peas are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Add collard greens and carrots. Simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and hot sauce and serve.