- 2 cups dried white beans
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1/4 pound bacon, cut into strips
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl, cover the beans with water. Allow to soak overnight.
- Drain the beans into a colander and rinse with cold water.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a large pot, add the beans, onions, brown sugar, molasses, tomato paste, mustard and bacon strips. Add 4 cups water, salt and pepper.
- Bring the bean mixture to a boil. Cover the pot and transfer to the preheated oven. Cook the beans for 4 hours, adding 1/2 cup water whenever the pot becomes dry.
- Allow to cool until ready to serve, about 15 minutes.
- Salt and pepper, to taste.