- 4 large green tomatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Set aside.
- Spread flour into a pie tin.
- In a second pie tin, mix the cornmeal, bread crumbs, salt and pepper.
- Dip each tomato slice into the flour, and coat well. Next, dip each slice into the milk and egg mixture. Dredge each tomato slice in the breadcrumbs to coat completely.
- In a large cast iron skillet, add oil to a depth of 1/2 inch. Set the heat to medium and allow the oil to heat in the skillet. Working in batches, fry 4-5 tomatoes at a time until they are browned. Flip the tomato slices and brown the second side.
- Transfer the fried tomatoes to a paper-towel lined plate to cool.