- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Powdered sugar, for topping
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the eggs and sugar. Slowly add the milk, and beat until combined. Add half the flour, salt and baking powder, and beat until smooth. Add remaining flour in small portions until the batter reaches the consistency of a loose cake batter.
- In a cast iron dutch oven, pour in 2 inches of vegetable oil. Heat the oil over high heat until it reaches a temperature of 375 degrees F.
- Plug the hole of a funnel with your finger, and fill it near the top with cake batter. Position the funnel over the dutch oven, and slowly remove your finger to allow the batter to stream into the frying oil. Move the funnel around slowly to create the classic funnel cake design. Allow the bottom to brown, then flip with a slotted spoon until both sides are golden brown.
- Transfer cooked funnel cake to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Allow to cool slightly, then top with powdered sugar before serving.