- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 small yellow onions, 1 thinly sliced, 1 finely grated
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 3/4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, finely grated
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Sour cream, for serving
- In a medium frying pan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Cook the bacon until crispy, about 6 minutes. Transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towels. Drain grease from pan. Cook sliced onion in pan until caramelized, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl; set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring 6 quarts of water to a boil.
- In a large bowl, combine grated onion, potatoes, flour, baking soda, eggs, salt and pepper into a thick dough.
- Drop teaspoon-sized balls of dough into the boiling water. Cook each dumpling until it floats and is cooked through, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer cooked dumplings to a serving plate.
- Top a portion of dumplings with bacon, caramelized onions and sour cream.