- 2 pounds center-cut boneless pork loin
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 sleeves saltines (about 80 crackers)
- 2 cups instant flour (such as Wondra)
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 4 soft hamburger buns, split
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 half-sour dill pickles, thinly sliced
To prepare pork:
- On a cutting board, cut the tenderloin crosswise into 4 equal pieces. Lay each pork piece on its side, and butterfly it by slicing horizontally through all but 1 inch of the piece.
- Open the pork piece flat like a book. Place a pork piece between a large, folded sheet of heavy-duty plastic wrap or silver foil. Using a mallet or heavy skillet, pound the piece evenly to 1/4-inch thickness. Repeat with remaining pork pieces.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper and the cayenne. Add the pork pieces, cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- In a food processor, pulse the crackers into coarse crumbs.
- Transfer crumbs to a shallow dish or pie tin.
- Place flour in a second shallow dish or pie tin.
- Remove a pork piece from the marinade allowing the excess to drip off.
- Dredge the piece in the flour then flip to cover all around. Dip the piece in the buttermilk marinade a second time. Coat the piece entirely with the cracker crumbs then transfer to a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining pork pieces.
- Heat 1/4- to 1/2-inch of peanut oil in a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium high heat.
- Continue to heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 360 degrees F.
- Working in batches, fry the pork pieces until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the cooked pork pieces to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
To assemble the sandwich:
- Spread the halves of a bun with mayonnaise and mustard.
- On the bottom half of the bun, layer lettuce, tomatoes and onion.
- Add a prepared pork piece and 3-4 pickle slices.
- Cover with the top half of the bun.