For the meatballs:
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 slice fresh white bread, crust trimmed, bread torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 8 ounces ground pork
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the soup:
- 12 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound curly endive, coarsely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine onion, parsley, egg, garlic, salt, pepper and bread pieces. Stir in cheese, beef and pork.
- Roll the meat mixture into 1-inch balls. Transfer meatballs to a baking sheet.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring the broth to a boil. Add the meatballs and endive. Simmer until the meatballs are cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and cheese.
- Stir the egg mixture into the soup until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.