- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 16 min
- Total Time: 26 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- 2 pounds ground beef (80-85 percent lean)
- 6 slices American cheese
- 6 hamburger buns
- Steak seasoning
- Pickle slices
- Fried onions
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees F.
- Divide ground beef into six equal portions. Roll one portion, working it to create a tightly formed ball.
- Divide the ball into two equal halves. Flatten each half into a circle slightly larger than the bottom of a hamburger bun.
- Fold a slice of American cheese into quarters. Overlap the quarter slices in the center of the half beef patty ensuring that the edges of the patty are still visible. Roll the other half of the beef portion into a ball. Flatten into a circle equal in size to the bottom patty half. Lay the top patty half over the cheese-topped bottom patty. Pinch the edges of the burger together to seal in the cheese. Repeat with the remaining ground beef and cheese slices. (Burgers can be prepared in advance and refrigerated until ready to grill.)
- Place the patties on the grill. Sprinkle each patty with steak seasoning. Close the lid of the grill and cook for 8-9 minutes. Flip the burgers. Pierce each patty to allow steam to escape from the cheese pocket. Close the lid and cook for another 7-8 min.
- Assemble by placing a burger on a bun topped with pickles and fried onions.