For the ribs and rub:
- 6 to 8 pounds baby back pork ribs or pork spareribs
- 1/4 cup sweet paprika
- 4 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 4 1/2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
For the mop sauce:
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
To prepare ribs and rub:
- Remove the thin skin from the back of each rack of ribs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together paprika, black pepper, brown sugar, salt, celery salt, cayenne, garlic powder, dry mustard and ground cumin.
- Rub 2/3 of the mixture over the rubs.
- Transfer the ribs to a roasting pan.
- Cover the ribs, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 and up to 8 hours.
To prepare mop sauce:
- In a small bowl, combine the apple cider vinegar, mustard and salt.
To grill ribs:
- Prepare a gas grill with a smoker box filled with soaked hickory chips or a charcoal grill with wood chips on the coals.
- Position a drip pan in the center of the grill.
- With the grill set for medium heat and indirect grilling, oil the grill grate.
- Arrange the ribs over the drip pan.
- Cover the grill and smoke cook the ribs, about 1 hour.
- Brush the ribs with mop sauce.
- Re-cover the ribs and cook until nearly tender, about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining rub on the ribs.
- Continue cooking until tender, about 15 minutes.