For the pastry hearts:
- 2 sheets puff pastry dough
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
To prepare the pastry hearts:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F with a rack in the middle position.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, combine cinnamon and sugar.
- Lightly flour a work surface, and cover it with two square puff pastry sheets. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar evenly over each square pastry sheet. Fold over top 1 inch and bottom 1 inch of each pastry sheet square. Repeat, folding over the top 1 inch layer and bottom 1 inch layer. The two layers should almost meet, but a small gap should remain between them. Fold the bottom half of the pastry over the top.
- Cut the layered pastry crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. Dip the sides of each piece in the cinnamon sugar and arrange, cut side down, on baking sheets.
- Bake the pastry hearts until golden on bottom, about 12 minutes.
- Turn over and bake until golden on bottom, about 5 more minutes.
- Transfer pastry hearts to a wire rack to cool completely.
To prepare the glaze:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of milk. Use a pastry brush to glaze the pastry hearts.