For the green sauce:
- 3 jalapeño chili peppers, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the chicken:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 (4-pound) whole chicken
To prepare the green sauce:
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment, combine the jalapeño, cilantro, garlic, mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Blend until smooth. While the motor is running, drizzle in the olive oil.
- Transfer to a sealable bowl, and refrigerate until ready to use.
To prepare the chicken:
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment, combine the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, salt, paprika, pepper, cumin, oregano and sugar.
- Remove the giblets from the chicken. Using paper towels, pat the chicken dry. Transfer to a bowl. Spoon the marinade over the chicken. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours.
- Position an oven rack to the lower position, and preheat to 425 degrees F.
- Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil. Place the chicken on a rack positioned inside the roasting pan. Tie the chicken’s legs together using kitchen twine. Roast until the skin is golden, about 20 minutes.
- Reduce the oven heat to 375 degrees F.
- Roast the chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, about 1 hour.
- Tent the chicken with foil. Allow the chicken to rest for 20 minutes.
- Tilt the chicken to drain any remaining juices, then transfer to a cutting board.
- Carve the chicken, and serve with a generous helping of the green sauce.