For the roast:
- 1 chuck roast
- 3 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 6 ounces lemon-lime soft drink
- 6 ounces beef stock
For the gravy:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 16 ounces beef stock
- Salt, to taste
- Steak seasoning, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
For the sandwich:
- 16 slices white bread
- 8 servings mashed potatoes
To prepare the roast:
- Preheat the oven with a rack in the middle position to 325 degrees F.
- Sprinkle seasoned salt evenly on all sides of the roast.
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat the vegetable oil.
- Add the roast and brown all sides, about 2 minutes per side.
- Surround the meat with the onion wedges.
- Season the meat and onions with more seasoned salt.
- Add soft drink and beef stock.
- Bake the roast until very tender, about 3-4 hours.
To prepare the gravy:
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour. Continue to stir occasionally, about 2 minutes. Carefully whisk in the beef stock. Add the salt and seasoning, to taste. Stir in Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring the gravy to a boil, then simmer until the gravy has thickened as desired.
To assemble the sandwich:
- Lay down a slice of bread. Top with a serving of roast beef, then top with another slice of bread.
- Cut the sandwich in half, and arrange the halves to form a V shape.
- Scoop a serving of mashed potatoes into the opening between the sandwich halves.
- Ladle gravy over the sandwich and potatoes.