- 2 cups dried navy beans, sorted and rinsed
- 12 cups water
- 2 pounds smoked pork hocks
- 2 1/2 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium stalks celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- In a Dutch oven, bring the beans and water to a boil. Continue to boil, uncovered for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover, and let stand 1 hour.
- Add pork hocks, and reheat until boiling. Reduce heat, re-cover, and simmer until beans are tender, about 2 hours.
- Stir in potatoes, salt, pepper, onion, celery and garlic. Cover and simmer, 1 hour.
- Transfer pork hocks to a cutting board. Allow to cool, then remove meat. Remove fat from the meat, then cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Stir meat into soup, then serve.