- 1 pie shell, unbaked
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Ground nutmeg, for garnish
- Press unbaked pie crust into pie pan. Freeze 15 minutes. Fill crust with dried beans or pie weights.
- Preheat oven with rack in middle position to 375 degrees F.
- Bake until edges turn just golden, about 25 minutes. Carefully remove pie weights. Return to oven and cook until golden brown, about 15 more minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and allow to cool.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Add flour. Increase heat to medium. Cook while whisking, about 2 minutes. Continue whisking while combining milk, cream, sugar and vanilla. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to medium-low heat. Simmer until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the cooled crust. Bake until the filling is set but slightly jiggly when tapped, about 25 minutes.
- Allow pie to cool completely on a wire rack. Sprinkle with ground nutmeg before serving.