Buttermilk Pumpkin Pie with Brown Sugar Cream
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 120 min
- Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings
- Category: Dessert
- 1 16 ounce can canned pumpkin
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pie shell, cooked
For brown-sugar cream:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For crunchy pecan topping:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
To prepare pie:
- Place a rack in the middle position and preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine all filling ingredients and combine well.
- Pour filling into baked pie shell.
- Bake pie until filling has set and pie tester comes out clean, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Transfer pie to a wire rack and allow pie to cool completely.
To prepare brown-sugar cream:
- In a medium mixing bowl, add all ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
To prepare crunchy pecan topping:
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, sugars and butter.
- Work with fingers to form moist dough.
- Add pecans and mix well.
- Pour mixture into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake for 1 hour or until mixture is lightly browned.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Break mixture into pieces.
- Pour mixture over slices of pie.
- Strew pecan pieces over slices of pie.