For the brownies:
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
For the chocolate coating:
- 24 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2/3 cup coconut oil
For assembly and serving:
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- Salted caramel sauce, for dipping
To prepare the brownies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish, and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Half fill the bottom of a double boiler. Over medium-low heat, melt the chocolate and butter. Stir frequently until well combined. Transfer the melted mixture to a medium bowl. Stir in the sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, stirring to combine each completely. Stir in the flour, and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer the baked brownies to a wire rack, and cool completely. Cover with foil, and transfer to the freezer.
To prepare the chocolate coating:
- Clean the double boiler pan following the chocolate-butter mixture used to make the brownies. Over medium-low heat, melt the semisweet chocolate.
- Remove the melted chocolate from heat, and stir in the coconut oil until the mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool.
To assemble the bars:
- Remove the brownies from the freezer, and smooth a layer of softened vanilla ice cream over the top. Cover with foil, and return to the freezer until the ice cream is firm, at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer the prepared baking sheet to the freezer to chill.
- Remove the chilled baking sheet and brownies. Cut 1-inch by 2-inch logs. Dip each frozen log into the melted chocolate-coconut mixture to coat. Transfer each dipped log to the chilled baking sheet. Work as quickly as you can, and return the baking dish and baking sheet to the freezer as often as needed to ensure that the bars retain their shape.
- Freeze the completed bars before serving, at least 1 hour.
- Serve with dipping dishes filled with salted caramel sauce.