Kansas City Rub Ribs
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Main
For the rub:
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons celery salt
- 2 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the ribs:
- 2 racks pork ribs, baby back or spare ribs
- 1 recipe Kansas City-style barbecue sauce
- In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar, paprika, sugar, celery salt, Kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, white pepper and black pepper.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully remove the membrane from the back of the rack of ribs. Trim the ribs of excess fat. Rub each rack generously with the rub.
- Place the ribs in a large container and refrigerate overnight.
- Prepare an outdoor grill to a heat of 225 degrees F. Place the ribs on the grill, meat side up, until the ribs are cooked through, about 5 hours.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking, generously baste each rack with the barbecue sauce.
Use a smoker box with moist oak or hickory chips for additional smoky flavor.