- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Dessert
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Work the shortening into the dry mixture.
- Roll the soft dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Cut into 2-inch rectangles.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Deep fry the sopapillas until they puff and brown evenly. Use a slotted spoon to carefully flip the sopapillas, if needed.
- Lightly dust with confectioners’ sugar, and serve warm.
Inspired by a dish at Casa Bonita.