- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons hickory barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon hickory liquid smoke
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 slices Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, sliced into hamburger-sized leaves
- 4 hamburger buns
- Pickle slices, for garnish
- Mayonnaise, for garnish
- In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, barbecue sauce and liquid smoke. Set aside.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Toast both halves of the hamburger buns. Set aside.
- Divide the ground beef into 4 equal portions. Form each portion into a patty. Working in batches as needed, grill the patties 4 minutes per side. Add a slice of Cheddar cheese to each patty, and cover until the cheese is melted.
- Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on a bottom bun. Top with pickle slices. Add a cooked burger patty. Spoon hickory sauce over the burger, then add iceberg lettuce. Cap with the top bun, and serve.