For chicken fried steak:
- Oil or shortening, for frying
- 6–8 beef cutlets of round or cube steak, tenderized
- 3–4 cups seasoned flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
For cream gravy:
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1–2 tablespoons drippings, included the cooked bits
- Salt and pepper, to taste
To prepare the cutlets:
- In a frying pan over medium heat, heat 1/4 inch of oil or shortening.
- In a shallow bowl or pie tin, sift and spread flour.
- In a second bowl or pie tin, beat eggs and combine with milk.
- Dredge beef cutlets in flour, then egg-milk wash, then flour again.
- Add cutlets to heated oil and fry until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Flip cutlets and cook for another 6-8 minutes or until golden.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Turn off the stovetop to allow the drippings to cool slightly.
To prepare the gravy:
- Using a strainer to reserve cooked bits, drain the frying pan of all but 1-2 tablespoons of drippings.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, seasonings and milk.
- Pour the milk mixture into the frying pan with the drippings.
- Continually whisk the gravy over medium heat until gravy reaches desired consistency, about 12-15 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Smother each cutlet with a generous amount of gravy.