For the Goetta:
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups steel cut oats
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
For the dip:
- 1 8 ounce can Ro-Tel, drained with 1/4 cup juice reserved
- 1 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup cheese, shredded
To prepare the Goetta:
- In a slow cooker set to high, bring the water, salt and pepper to a boil. Stir in the steel cut oats.
- Cover, and cook 90 minutes.
- In a large bowl, blend ground beef, ground pork sausage and onion. Stir the beef-pork mixture into the oat mixture. Reduce heat to low.
- Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, at least 3 hours.
- Transfer mixture to a baking pan. Cool until solidified.
- Turn the mixture out onto wax paper. Chill in the refrigerator until firm, about 1 hour.
- In a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil until shimmering. Working in batches, cook the mixture until each batch is evenly brown.
To prepare the dip:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together 2 1/2 cups cooked Goetta sausage, cream cheese, Ro-Tel and reserved juice.
- Lightly grease an 8×8 baking dish.
- Place the mixture in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the Cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake the mixture until cooked through and bubbling, about 20 minutes.
Serve with corn chips or pita chips.