For the brownies:
- 1 pound plus 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 pound butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 large whole eggs
- 1 pound walnuts, crushed, toasted
For the apricot glaze:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin powder
To prepare the brownies:
- In a double boiler over medium-high heat, melt the chocolate with the butter, stirring frequently.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, cake flour and baking powder.
- Using a flexible rubber spatula, blend the chocolate-butter mixture into the dry ingredients. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, allowing each egg to blend completely before adding the next.
- Preheat the oven with a rack in the middle position to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange walnuts evenly on a rimmed cookie sheet. Toast walnuts until fragrant, about 15 minutes. Transfer walnuts to a cutting board and chop. Set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
- Butter and flour a 9×13-inch baking dish. Spread brownie batter evenly into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the chopped walnuts across the surface of the batter. Press down on the walnuts lightly so they are embedded into the batter. Bake until the brownies become crisp at the edges, about 45-50 minutes.
- Remove the brownies from the oven, and allow them to cool in the baking dish on a rack for 30 minutes.
To prepare the apricot glaze:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, mix the water, apricot preserves and gelatin. Whisk until the mixture boils, then allow to boil for 2 minutes.
- Immediately spread a thick layer of the glaze over the brownies and embedded walnuts. Allow to cool completely.
- Transfer the glazed brownies to the freezer, and chill for 3 hours. Slice, then store in an airtight container. Allow to reach room temperature before serving.