- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3–4 cups confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, combine peanut butter, butter, vanilla and salt. Mix on low until blended.
- Gradually add 3 cups confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. Blend thoroughly after each addition.
- Add additional confectioners’ sugar until mixture reaches desired consistency. A 1-inch ball of batter should stay on a toothpick.
- Line two baking sheets with wax paper. Roll batter into 1-inch balls and arrange on the first prepared baking sheet. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and shortening. Repeatedly microwave the mixture for 30 seconds, and stir until the chocolate dip is smooth.
- Insert a toothpick into a peanut butter ball, and dip it 3/4 way into the chocolate dip. Twist to remove excess.
- Place the finished buckeye onto the second prepared baking sheet. Remove toothpick and smooth over the hole. Refrigerate until buckeyes are firm.