For the chili:
- 1 quart cold water
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cups crushed canned tomatoes
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed, and heated
- Using a food processor, pulse several times to loosen beef.
- In a 4-quart pot, combine beef and water. Bring to a simmer and stir until well combined. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, unsweetened cocoa, chili powder, cayenne, ground cumin, cider vinegar, bay leaf, ground cloves, cinnamon and salt.
- Simmer uncovered on low for at least 3 hours and up to 8 hours. Add water as needed throughout the day to maintain desired consistency.
Chili can be refrigerated overnight and reheated.
- 1-way: chili
- 2-way: chili over spaghetti
- 3-way: chili over spaghetti with cheese
- 4-way: chili over spaghetti with cheese and onions
- 5-way: chili over spaghetti with cheese, onions, and beans