- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 25 min + 1 hr refrigeration time
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons water , warm
- Canola oil, for frying
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Honey, for drizzle
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Work the shortening into the dry mixture. Add the warm water. Continue to add water by single tablespoons until the dough is pliable but not moist. Form the dough into a loose disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Transfer to the refrigerator to cool for 1 hour.
- Roll the soft dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Cut into 1 1/2-inch by 2-inch rectangles.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Deep fry the sopapillas until they puff and brown evenly. Use a slotted spoon to carefully flip the sopapillas, if needed.
- Lightly dust with confectioners’ sugar, and drizzle with honey. Serve warm.
Inspired by a dish at Casa Bonita.