The Original Cream Puff
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total Time: 1 hr + 1 hr cooling time
- Yield: 10 servings
For the cream puff dough:
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into tablespoon slices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 4 whole eggs, room temperature
For the egg wash:
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
For the whipped cream filling:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Confectioners sugar, for dusting
To prepare the cream puffs:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large heavy pot over medium heat, combine the water, butter slices and salt. Stir until butter is completely melted. Bring water to a slow boil.
- Using a wooden spoon, quickly stir in the flour until a soft ball forms. Remove the dough from heat, and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Mix in eggs one at a time until each is fully combined. Gently work the dough until it is sticky but smooth.
- Drop 1/4 cup portions of the puff dough onto the prepared baking sheet at least 2 inches apart from one another.
- Prepare the egg wash by mixing the egg yolk and the milk. Using a pastry brush, brush the wash over each puff dough. Bake the puffs until they are firm and golden brown, about 35 minutes.
- Transfer the baked puffs to a wire rack. Using a toothpick, poke each puff to allow steam to release. Cool the puffs until they are firm, about 1 hour.
To prepare the whipped cream filling:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whip attachment, whisk together the cream, vanilla and sugar.
- Beat the whipped cream on medium speed until soft peaks form.
To assemble the cream puffs:
- Cut the top off of each cream puff, and fill with a generous portion of the whipped cream.
- Replace each of the tops, then dust the cream puffs with confectioners sugar.