- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 1 pound onions, chopped, divided
- 5 Bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 3 pounds boneless chicken (thighs and breasts), cubed
- 1/2 pound cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 bunch celery, chopped
- 1/2 pound carrots, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 pound red potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 pound green beans, chopped
- 1/2 pound corn kernels
- 1/2 pound green peas
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large heavy-bottom pot or Dutch oven, add beef, 1/2 pound of the chopped onion, bay leaves, and salt and pepper, to taste. Add water until the pot is a third full. Bring the contents to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes. Skim the surface of excess fat as needed.
- Add chicken, and pour in more water as needed until the meat is submerged. Simmer for another 2 hours.
- Add the remaining 1/2 pound of the chopped onion, cabbage, celery, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, green beans, corn and green peas. Return the stew to a simmer. Add enough chicken broth to flavor the stew. Simmer for an additional 2 hours.
- Season the stew with lemon juice, soy sauce, and salt and pepper before serving.