- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, separated
- 5 cloves of garlic, separated and minced
- 1 28-ounce can whole San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 cup of cooking Sherry wine
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 pounds chicken breast, cut into small chunks
- 2 large fire roasted red peppers, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 4 hot cherry peppers
- 1 cup of grated Pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 pound rigatoni
- Crushed red pepper flakes, for serving
- In a large stock pot, heat 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil over low heat. Add 4 minced garlic cloves. Add the whole tomatoes and the Sherry wine. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the butter, cream, dried basil and sea salt. Continue to simmer on very low heat.
- In a medium skillet, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil and sauté the chicken. When the chicken has just browned, stir in the roasted red peppers, hot cherry peppers and the remaining minced garlic clove. Continue to sauté the marinara sauce for 5 additional minutes.
- Returning to the stock pot, mash the tomatoes with a potato masher. Add the Pecorino Romano cheese.
- Toss the chicken-pepper mixture in with the marinara sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the rigatoni al dente, then toss in the pot with the sauce mixture.
- Serve with additional grated cheese and red pepper flakes.