- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 7 cups bread flour, divided
- 1/4 cup shortening
- Nonstick spray
- Oil, for deep-frying
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- In a medium bowl, combine the lukewarm water, sugar and yeast. Transfer to a warm dry place, and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, salt and evaporated milk. Add the egg mixture to the yeast mixture, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Add 3 cups of bread flour to the yeast mixture. Stir to combine. Alternate adding portions of the shortening and the remaining 4 cups of bread flour, stirring to fully combine each portion.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface. Knead the dough until it is smooth.
- Coat a large bowl with nonstick spray. Place the dough into the prepared bowl. Cover the dough with plastic wrap, and transfer to a warm place. Allow the dough to rise, at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oil in a deep-fryer or deep skillet to 350 degrees F.
- In a large, sealable plastic bag, add the confectioners sugar. Set aside.
- Roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut the dough into 1-inch squares.
- Working in batches, fry the dough squares. Flip the dough repeatedly until both sides are golden. Transfer the fried beignets to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Place the drained beignets into the bag containing the confectioners sugar. Seal and shake to coat evenly.