Carne Asada Fries
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Snack/Appetizer
For the seasoned salt:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
For the fries and steak:
- 1 22 ounce package frozen French fries
- 12 ounces skirt steak
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the cheese sauce and assembly:
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- Dashes of Cholula hot sauce, to taste
- Cubed avocado, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
- Cilantro leaves, for serving
- Salsa, for serving
- Pico de gallo, for serving
To prepare the seasoned salt:
- In a small bowl, whisk the salt, paprika, garlic powder, pepper, oregano and sugar.
To prepare the fries and steak:
- On a rimmed baking sheet, spread fries and toss with 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt. Bake according to package directions, tossing halfway through.
- Rub steak with remaining seasoned salt.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sear steak 3 minutes per side. Allow steak to rest, about 10 minutes.
- Thinly slice the steak against the grain. Cut the slices into 1-inch pieces.
- On a large serving platter, arrange the fries. Top the fries with the steak.
To prepare the cheese sauce:
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine the cheese and cornstarch. Pour evaporated milk over the cheese mixture.
- Cook the mixture on high for 30 seconds. Whisk to combine, and cook for another 30 seconds. Repeat this step until the cheese mixture is melted and smooth. Stir in hot sauce.
- Spoon the cheese sauce over the steak and fries.
- Top with avocado, sour cream, cilantro, salsa and pico de gallo.