- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings
- Category: Dessert
- 1 7-ounce package flaked coconut
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon orange peel, finely shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine coconut, sugar, flour, orange peel and salt. Add egg whites and vanilla. Stir until combined. Add 1/4 cup of the chocolate pieces. Stir until combined.
- Drop 1 rounded teaspoon of mixture onto the prepared cookie sheets 2 inches apart. Bake for 18 minutes or until light brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack, and allow to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, melt remaining 1/2 cup chocolate pieces and shortening over low heat. Stir until chocolate melts.
- Drizzle chocolate mixture over cookies.
Cookies can be refrigerated in between wax paper layers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.