Biscuits and Gravy
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Snack/Appetizer
For the biscuits:
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 4 tablespoons butter, chilled
- 1 cup buttermilk, chilled
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
For the sausage gravy:
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1-2 dashes Tabasco sauce, cayenne pepper or other hot sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
To prepare biscuits:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Prepare a floured surface for shaping the dough.
- Line an ungreased baking sheet with Silpat cookie sheet liner.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Using a fork, cut in the shortening and butter.
- Working quickly, work the mixture only until crumbly.
- Make a depression in the center of the flour mixture.
- Pour the buttermilk into the depression.
- Stir with a spoon, blending until the dough is tacky.
- Turn the dough onto the floured surface.
- Fold the dough over itself 3 times.
- Shape the dough into a 3/4-inch thick disc.
- Use a 2-inch biscuit cutter to create each biscuit.
- Arrange biscuits on the baking sheet leaving space between them.
- Reshape the scrap dough to continue making as many biscuits as possible.
- Bake biscuits for 15-18 minutes, turning the sheet halfway through baking, until the tops are lightly golden.
- Brush the tops of the biscuits with additional melted butter.
To prepare sausage gravy:
- Heat a 4-quart heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Crumble sausage into the pan, cooking until it browns, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Break up the sausage, and continue to cook until browned through.
- Stir in onions, and cook until they are transparent.
- Sprinkle the flour over the sausage-onion mixture.
- Stir the flour into the mixture, and cook 6-8 minutes.
- Add poultry seasoning, ground nutmeg, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco and salt.
- Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add the milk, stirring occasionally.
- Cook over medium heat until gravy has thickened, about 15 minutes.